For safety reasons we will not operate services if there is snow settled on or settling on roads. This may result in the delay or cancellation of morning services from Ashburton, and may mean we are not able to operate services to and from Methven on occasion.
We offer a Sunday evening service usually departing from Ashburton at 4.30 pm after picking up passengers at home, Methven I-site at 5.00 pm and Rakaia by the electric vehicle charging station at 5.30 pm. This service will also pick up in Hinds & Mayfield on request, which is accommodated by leaving Ashburton earlier. The service drops off in Christchurch between 6.30 and 6.45 pm. Bookings from Ashburton, Methven and Rakaia need to be made by 1.00 pm on the day of travel, bookings from Hinds or Mayfield need to be made by 9.00 am on the day of travel, so we can confirm pick up times for other passengers.
We also operate a Monday morning service departing from Ashburton at 6.30 am and Rakaia at 6.50 am. This is a popular service, with some regular passengers travelling every week, and It is recommended that passengers book as far in advance as possible to ensure that seats are available.
A Friday afternoon return service is available on the regular scheduled run from Christchurch to Ashburton leaving Christchurch at approximately 4.00 pm, It will operate via Methven, Mayfield and Hinds on request.
- The operating days of all the above services will be adjusted for public holidays on Fridays or Mondays.
- Please let us know at least 48 hours in advance if you are planning to take large bags or bulky luggage so we can arrange a luggage trailer if necessary.
We operate a daily morning service from Ashburton and Rakaia to Christchurch, which arrives between 8.00 am and 8.45 am depending on bookings.
We operate a daily afternoon service from Christchurch which can also drop in Methven, Mayfield and Hinds. This departs between 3.15 and 5.15 pm depending on bookings.
- The standard fare for these services from either Ashburton or Methven is $40 one way or $65 return for the first child from each family, then $25 one way or $50 return for siblings. We offer a 20% discount for prepaying 5 trips. A one way 5 trip pass costs $160 for 5 trips in either direction ($100 for siblings). A return 5 trip pass costs $260 for 10 trips in either direction ($200 for siblings).
- From Rakaia the standard fare is $30 one way or $50 return for the first child from each family, then $20 one way or $40 return for siblings, a 5 trip one way pass costs $120, a 5 trip return pass costs $200.
- From Hinds or Mayfield, the standard fare is $50 one way or $80 return for the first child from each family, then $30 one way or $60 return for siblings, a 5 trip pass costs $200, ($120 for siblings) a 10 trip pass costs $320. *$240 for siblings).
- For anyone using the daily service at least 3 days a week the fares are $39 per day return from Ashburton or $30 per day return from Rakaia. We offer a one week trial of the daily service for $20 return per day for new passengers considering using the daily service at least 3 days per week.
Scheduled services will not run unless there are prior bookings. The current booking status of scheduled services, and the number of seats available on them, are shown below. Single passengers travelling one way are requested to book on services that are already operating where possible, as this will assist us in being able to maintain our current fares.
Services will not operate if there is road snow, or strong wind warnings are in place, and may be delayed or cancelled.
The Next 10 Days
Sunday 19th September – Departing Ashburton approximately 4.00 pm for Mt Somers, them Christchurch; pick ups also available in Hinds, Mayfield, Methven and Rakaia, 4 seats available. Departing Christchurch approximately 6.45 pm. 5 seats available.
Monday 20th September – Departing Ashburton 6.30 am, 1 seat available, departing Christchurch 3.15 pm or later, 3 seats available.
Tuesday 21st September – Departing Ashburton 7.00 am or earlier, 2 seats available, departing Christchurch approximately 12.15 pm, 4 seats available. Departing Ashburton 2.30 pm, 5 seats available, departing Christchurch approximately 4.30 pm, 3 seats available.
Wednesday 22nd September – Departing Ashburton 7.00 am or earlier, 3 seats available, departing Christchurch 3.15 pm or later, 3 seats available. More seats will be available if we move to level 1.
Thursday 23rd September – Departing Ashburton 6.35 am, 1 seat available, departing approximately Christchurch 8.45 am, 5 seats available. Departing Ashburton 3.00 pm, 5 seats available, departing Christchurch 5.00 pm, 1 seat available. More seats will be available if we move to level 1.
Friday 24th September – Departing Ashburton 7.00 am or earlier, 4 seats available, departing Christchurch 2.15 pm or later, 4 seats available. More seats will be available if we move to level 1.
Saturday 25th September – No services operating.
Sunday 26th September – Departing Ashburton 5.00 pm or earlier; pick ups available in Hinds, Mayfield, Mt Somers, Methven and Rakaia, 4 seats available. Departing Christchurch approximately 7.00 pm. 5 seats available. More seats will be available if we move to level 1.
Monday 27th September – Departing Ashburton 6.30 am, 3 seat available, departing Christchurch 3.15 pm or later, 3 seats available. More seats will be available if we move to level 1.
Tuesday 28th September – Departing Ashburton 7.00 am or earlier, 3 seats available, departing Christchurch approximately 4.30 pm, 2 seats available. More seats will be available if we move to level 1.
Future Bookings Beyond 10 Days
Wednesday 29th September – Departing Ashburton 7.00 am or earlier, 3 seats available, departing Christchurch 3.15 pm or later, 3 seats available. More seats will be available if we move to level 1.
Thursday 30th September – Departing Ashburton 7.00 am or earlier, 3 seats available, departing Christchurch 3.15 pm or later, 3 seats available. More seats will be available if we move to level 1.
Friday 1st October – Departing Ashburton 7.00 am or earlier, 4 seats available, departing Christchurch 2.15 pm or later, 4 seats available. More seats will be available if we move to level 1.
We already stop at Chertsey, Fairton and the Ashburton North Industrial Estate on request for no additional charge. We will also stop after our morning off-peak service (about 10.30 to 11.00 am Monday to Friday) and before our afternoon off peak service (about 2.00 to 2.30 pm Monday to Friday) in other locations around Ashburton on request either as an add-on to travel to and from Christchurch or for travel to and from Ashburton. This travel needs to be booked 48 hours in advance. The fares are:
$10 per person each way Ashburton Airport, Lake Hood, Wakanui
$15 per person each way Coldstream, Hinds, Lauriston, Methven
$20 per person each way Mayfield, Mt Somers
We are currently not able to offer a rural service with our peak time services due to regulations restricting the length of the work day, we do however have off-street day parking options available in Ashburton for passengers wanting to use the peak time services.
There will be two additional regular Ashburton to Methven services each week during school terms at 4.30 pm on Sundays, and approximately 6.00 pm on Fridays, and a Methven to Ashburton service at approximately 6.30 pm on Fridays.
Summary of Methven Services
Ashburton to Methven
- Approximately 10.30 am and 2.00 pm Monday to Friday,
- Approximately 6.00 pm Friday,
- Approximately 4.30 pm Sunday
Methven to Ashburton
- Approximately 11.00 am and 2.30 pm Monday to Friday
- Approximately 6.30 pm Friday
Christchurch to Methven
- Approximately 9.30 am Monday to Friday
- Approximately 4.30 pm Friday
Methven to Christchurch
- Approximately 2.30 pm Monday to Friday
- 5.15 pm Sunday
We currently stop at ARA Institute, schools in Central Christchurch and along Papanui Rd, and Canterbury University and schools nearby between 7.45 am and 8.25 am Monday to Friday. The same service drops at Lincoln University at approximately 7.20 am. This service is also available to people commuting for work or appointments. The evening return service is timetabled to pick up from 5.00 pm, but will leave earlier if this suits all booked passengers.
For students and other regular commuters from Ashburton that commit to using the service at least 3 days a week for an extended period, we offer a 40% discounted daily return rate to Lincoln ($30) and Christchurch ($39). From Rakaia on the same service the daily return rates for such regular passengers are $20 to Lincoln and $30 to Christchurch. For new passengers wanting to try the service your first week is $20 per day, as long as there is a minimum of 3 days travel booked by the same person to and from the same place.
For regular travellers commuting less than 3 days a week we offer a 20% discount on our standard fares in the form of a 5 ride of 10 ride prepaid pass. These passes can be used to book travel in either direction.
- Ashburton to Christchurch one way 5 trip pass $160, return 5 trip pass (10 trips) $260
- Ashburton to Lincoln or Rakaia to Christchurch one way 5 trip pass $120, return 5 trip pass (10 trips) $200
We do not currently offer the commuter service from Methven or locations other than Tinwald, Ashburton or Rakaia but there are parking options available in Ashburton and Rakaia for those from out of town.
An accountant will tell you about 60 cents per kilometer which works out to about $2300 per month or $115 per day to commute to Christchurch from Ashburton 5 days a week. If we break it down for an average late model vehicle.
- Fuel – about $600 per month or $30 per day for a reasonably efficient model.
- Maintenance – you will need at least one extra set of tyres per year, your vehicle will need an oil change about every 5 weeks, and a new oil filter about every 10 weeks, you will need to replace belts and other filters more often, the likelihood of major mechanical problems will be increased – about $250 per month or $12 per day.
- Parking in Christchurch – about $5 per day or $100 per month
- Depreciation – the increased mileage will significantly reduce the resale value of your vehicle. For a late model vehicle this could be as much as $500 per month or $25 per day.
- Your Time – you will spend 50 to 60 hours a month driving. This is time which you are not able to use to earn an income or for other productive purposes – using the minimum wage about $1100 per month or $55 per day.
The exact figures for your vehicle may be slightly different, but clearly our regular user rate of $39 per day or about $780 per month is less than the cost for one person driving themselves, and is competitive with carpooling.
What Could You Do With 60 Extra Hours A Month?
- Learn a new language
- Write your first novel
- Get on top of the personal correspondence and financial planning
- Ace every term paper or business presentation
Using our service instead of driving yourself to Christchurch every day will give you back this time. The vision and self-discipline to make the most of it is up to you.