An accountant will tell you about 60 cents per kilometer which works out to about $2300 per month or $115 per day to commute to Christchurch from Ashburton 5 days a week. If we break it down for an average late model vehicle.
- Fuel – about $600 per month or $30 per day for a reasonably efficient model.
- Maintenance – you will need at least one extra set of tyres per year, your vehicle will need an oil change about every 5 weeks, and a new oil filter about every 10 weeks, you will need to replace belts and other filters more often, the likelihood of major mechanical problems will be increased – about $250 per month or $12 per day.
- Parking in Christchurch – about $5 per day or $100 per month
- Depreciation – the increased mileage will significantly reduce the resale value of your vehicle. For a late model vehicle this could be as much as $500 per month or $25 per day.
- Your Time – you will spend 50 to 60 hours a month driving. This is time which you are not able to use to earn an income or for other productive purposes – using the minimum wage about $1100 per month or $55 per day.
The exact figures for your vehicle may be slightly different, but clearly our regular user rate of $39 per day or about $780 per month is less than the cost for one person driving themselves, and is competitive with carpooling.
What Could You Do With 60 Extra Hours A Month?
- Learn a new language
- Write your first novel
- Get on top of the personal correspondence and financial planning
- Ace every term paper or business presentation
Using our service instead of driving yourself to Christchurch every day will give you back this time. The vision and self-discipline to make the most of it is up to you.